Thursday, May 22, 2014

Stroganoff

I haven't had stroganoff in many many years.  During a discussion about casseroles, I was inspired to make some.  I had only eaten the Hamburger Helper style stroganoff as a child so I went to the internet to find out more about the dish.  So it's actually Russian, and originally a meat only dish made with mustard; the starchy side and sour cream came later.  Knowing what I know about cooking, I decided to keep the mustard, omt the Campbell's Soup sauce and hit the spice aisle for ingredients.  It's delicious by the way, but do not use more than 1/4 tsp. of dried mustard or it will be bitter.  Also, keep the meat/sauce away from the pasta when storing it or the pasta will soak up all the salt.  I stored some in the freezer so I'll let you know how that works out when I defrost it.





For 8 servings:

2 bags of +gardein Beefless Tips
1 bag or box of farfalle (or your favorite shape of pasta)
1/2 stick Earth Balance Buttery Sticks
1/4 C +Bob's Red Mill whole wheat pastry flour
1/12 C broth
1/2 C to 1 C red wine (I used sweet vermouth)
Tofutti sour cream
Salt, white pepper, olive oil, herbs of choice (I used parsley and marjoram)

Set the pasta water to boil, this cooks fast.  Defrost the Beefless Tips, in a microwave works great. Add boiling water to a bouillon cube and the herbs and pepper.  Make a roux in a saute pan by melting the margarine with a splash of olive oil then sprinkling in the flour.  Stir Stir Stir until it smells cooked through, then add the broth.  When it starts to bubble, add the mustard powder and stir.  Add the Beefless Tips and wine then taste.  Season if necessary.  When it thickens, turn off the heat and add the Tofutti.  Hopefully the pasta will be cooked by now, so drain it, season and serve together.  

No comments:

Post a Comment