Sunday, May 19, 2013

Southern Vegan Menu Part 5: "Buttermilk" Biscuits

Biscuits are rad.  I will be making more soon.

I got my recipe from the LA Times Saturday section last month. I substituted +Bob's Red Mill   Whole Wheat Pastry Flour for the Lily White that was recommended by the article because I wanted more nutrition while keeping a light texture.  I used Earth Balance Buttery Sticks because they're awesome.  For buttermilk, I used a recipe in THE JOY OF VEGAN BAKING by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau (Thanks for the awesome XMas gift Richard):  add 1 TB of vinegar to each C of milk, in this case plain unsweetened almond.



The recipe yielded 4 cookie sheets of large biscuits.  Next time I will halve the recipe because it was too much; biscuits don't keep well.  Also, my oven burned the two sheets on the bottom rack completely black on the underside so they went to waste.

Although they tasted great, I mad a few mistakes I'd like not to repeat with the next batch.  I overworked the dough, my kitchen was hot so my ingredients were warm, and I rolled the dough too thin.  The biscuits were flatter than the Colonel's, but were still flaky and steamy inside.  

I ate the leftovers for the next few days, and a biscuit stored without air in a sandwich bag microwaves well up to four days afterward. My sausage gravy was perfect, but I recommend serving the biscuits either plain or with Earth Balance spread and preserves.




No comments:

Post a Comment