Monday, September 2, 2013

20 Years Without Cheetos

I haven't had a processed cheese product since 1993 or so.  Even though that was my choice, and even though Cheetos were never my favorite snack food, these Earth Balance Vegan Aged White Cheddar Flavor Puffs fill a void in my junk food repertoire.  Except that these ARE NOT junk food, and the puffs taste like the ingredients that compose them.

Of course I tore open the bag to taste these yummy puffs before I had even put the rest of my groceries away.  I had too, and I'm glad I did.  The puffs are light and crispy without being greasy.  The cheese powder has a balanced flavor.  After the initial crunch there comes the full bodied cheesiness, then a lovely aftertaste of grains.

And then I read the label.  Not so bad in comparison to say a 1 oz. bag of regular potato chips, which do not have anything taste wise over these delicious puffs.  Each bag has four servings of 1 1/4 C each.  If you brought it down to a 1 C serving, you could increase the servings per container to 5, decrease the fat per serving by .9 grams and the carbs by 3.8 grams which would make it just a hair over 1 low fat starch exchange, if you're using exchanges in your diet.

It's another great snack from a great company.  AND these are vegan, gluten free, non GMO, and Earth Balance is a very environmentally and nutritionally conscious company.




No comments:

Post a Comment